You really thought I would give up so easy on living vegan and plastic-free?!
As already mentioned in Week 1: Vegan & Plastic-free Life I went to France and was staying at my cousins‘, aunts and then my grandparents‘ place. And being the only vegetarian in the family, well it is not easy. You could say I am the alien in the family, not only because of my eating habits but also some of my „believes“ and because I am the only one with tattoos (One of my addictions) but that’s another story. So once at my grandparents‘ place, I cooked vegan and now that I am living with my mom for a while I can concentrate more on building some healthy vegan habits. Habits? Yes! I think most people do not try to be vegetarian or vegan because it means changing your habits as well as renouncing some favourite meals. But the good news, it is possible! It does take some time in the beginning but it is possible! Apart from eating vegan, my goal is also to mainly cook fresh and not eat any processed foods. That means cooking and baking, even more, I am a sweet tooth and pastries are, what a surprise, not vegan. What a great decision to move from one of the best countries to be vegan or buy plastic-free (Germany) to France, where ..well I think it will be a bit more difficult here but France has quite often markets where local farmers sell their products.
This last week I have been searching online for vegan recipes and also found some I used to cook when I was in Germany (so about 3 years ago). So this week for breakfast I made Dark Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl, every vegan, no actually every kitchen should include quinoa! And Peanut Butter Overnight Oats, I just loooooove peanut butter! As main dishes I found this recipe again Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl, its‘ main ingredients are sweet potatoes, broccoli and chickpeas, which are some of my favourites. And also with chickpeas is the Chickpea Shawarma Salad, we turned this one into a sandwich as we did not have any green salad. For the coming days, I planed Roasted Cauliflower and Black Bean Tacos and Noodle-Free Pad Thai (30 Minutes!).
When my mom came back from the shopping and I saw all these products wrapped in plastic …I felt sick! Yes, I get it! You can not let pasta or nuts just fly around, you need to wrap them in something but WHY plastic? Especially when you consider that about 15% of plastic actually gets recycled and the other 85% just stay on our planet for another 10 – 1.000 years to decompose, depending on the product. I remembered a product I saw a few weeks ago on 91 Tipps & Tricks – Plastikfrei leben ohne Müll (German) and an alternative in English 100 Steps to a Plastic-Free Life. Here I saw fruit and veggie nets which you can use instead of a plastic bag at the supermarket. Another possibility would be to use the same plastic bags again and again. I think it is important that we are aware that we have to change our habits to save our environment, maybe not all in one day but instead day by day. Another point would be to go to demonstrations like Earth Day and other environmental demonstrations, I think it is a way to get more attention to this issue, I am working on this though. To be honest, the whole environmental situation fucking scares me! But ‚good‘ news, Scotland declares ‘climate emergency’ following school strikes and this literally made me cry. Now let’s see what Scotland next actions will be!
Back to the food, as earlier mentioned I planned to cook a Noodle-Free Pad Thai and it seems I forgot the collard greens on the shopping list but it was still AMAZING! And also the Roasted Cauliflower-Black Beans Tacos did not disappoint me, it was nice and different, and I will definitely cook it again in the future. Now as we had some leftovers like red cabbage and white cabbage, I found Rich Red Curry with Roasted Vegetables which I will cook this weekend. Planning is great but then my mom came home and suggested to make waffles haha. Thank God, I found a vegan recipe and we had everything at home. So Friday night we had Classic Vegan Waffles (I added some cinnamon to the batter, I don’t know why but I usually do this).
On a rainy Saturday and after going to the farmers market with my new fruit and veggie nets, which you can get here I decided it is a Netflix & Chill day. On my list are A Plastic Ocean and What the Health.